For the last few decades, organizations have been concerned about maximizing profits and customer satisfaction. The success of any organization depends on its key areas, in short, the capabilities of the managers. The corporate world has developed a lot over time. Companies now realize the importance of employees, a company’s key asset. Managers have sent their employees to workshops, training, awareness sessions, and seminars to improve their skills. Managers are responsible for creating a work-friendly and motivation-oriented environment for their employees. In fact, keeping the employees satisfied and motivated is a big challenge for the management.
Management has to be well aware of the needs and requirements of the employees so as to keep a positive thought process among its employee.
Let us understand what motivation actually is. The term ‘motivation’ can not be properly defined in words, but one can mean it as a way to face obstacles and find inspiration that helps us go through tough times. It means to be changed by something so strongly that it turns out to be an inspiration for us. It helps us to ‘move on in our lives. It is a tool that helps to get ahead in life. A goal is required to be motivated, but more importantly, the right mindset is the key to being motivated.
Motivation Among Employees
Employees are the backbone of a company. All employees together serve as the foundation of an organization. Only a satisfied worker can contribute properly to the organization.
According to LinkedIn, “Employee motivation is something about the enthusiasm, the energy level, creativity and the amount of commitment that an employee brought in towards an organization”
Here are the questions are:
- Why do employees need motivation?
- Why employee motivation is so significant?
- What are ways of effective motivation?
- What are the benefits of employee motivation?
Employee motivation is a key to corporate success. It brings commitment, energy, and creativity to the employee’s personality. A motivated employee works more diligently. He/she is more dedicated to his/her work. This behavior adds more to the company’s mission. Workers’ productivity depends on the company’s attitude towards them. If the company management has maintained good relations with its employees, they will not leave the job at any cost. The managers are well versed in the concept of employee motivation at the workplace. This may be challenging but hard tasks often bore sweet fruits.
In the end, employees are also human beings. Keeping the employees motivated is not an easy task for the management. It never comes easily, it’s something that the managers need to nurture and monitor.
Imagine a demotivated employee, he may be probably working at a slower pace, avoiding tasks, and spending time chit-chatting and murmuring. But most of all, they’re unfocused and wasting energy. This has a knock-on effect on other employees and is bad for the whole environment. Whereas, a motivated employee is enthusiastic, accomplishes tasks quickly, and takes pride in finishing work.
Keeping the employees motivated is undoubtedly the most significant aspect of a company. Already motivated employees never need extreme supervision as they are automatically inclined towards success and determined to strive for the best.
This article will share with you some of the best ways to increase motivation in the workplace.
Ways to increase employee motivation
- SET SMART GOALS:- Specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, time-based: it forms the full form of SMART. SMART goals are a way toward increasing motivation. After achieving a milestone successfully, reward yourself, celebrate and chill. Celebrating the achievements will put you on the angel’s side and it will pay off in spades.
- BE POSITIVE, ALWAYS:- Negative people are nevertheless more productive than positive people. Positive leaders can turn away the negativities among employees. Negative employees may make a negative impact on outsiders, especially customers. Only positivity and happiness will make your employees productive and your organization successful.
- LEAD WITH VISION:- If the managers understand the difference between sight and vision, it implies the organization is in the right hands. Make your goal clear and frame strategies regarding those, so that company can ensure its vision is clear.
- CREATE A CAREER PATH:- Clearly define the goals and milestones of the company. Also, define the role of each employee. This will help employees get a better idea of their responsibilities so as to fit properly into the company.
- SHARE YOUR VISION:- Corporate world starts at the top and filters down. It is a philosophy where everyone is equal and of value and contributes their skills to the objectives of the company. It includes working as part of a team and sharing knowledge and ideas.
- ENCOURAGE TEAMWORK:- Teamwork is the key to improved employee motivation. It allows employees to share their thoughts, and problems, solve issues and plan together. Fortunately, there is no barrier to doing this, as it can happen face-to-face or virtual also
- SUPPORT EMPLOYEE WELLBEING:- Provide your employees with a sense of attachment. Listen to their opinions and problems. Include them in the decision-making and consider their suggestions. Do not scold any employee on bad suggestions,
- CELEBRATE YOUR ACHIEVEMENTS:- Give individual and team rewards! Celebrating also does not mean you will be partying every day even on small wins. But yes, party hard on your big achievements and never forget to include your employees in it.
- APPRECIATE GOOD WORK:- Always appreciate your employees. Never hesitate to say thank you, well done, or great work! Reward your employees for achieving a milestone such as trips, bonuses, vouchers, or treats. This always increases employee motivation.
- STAY HEALTHY:- Only a healthy mind can work to will full potential. A sick individual will always try to avoid tasks assigned to him. A healthy mind consists of a healthy body. Note down some health tips and share them with your employees.
Every employee brings with him/her an expectation of the organization. He/she has some requirements and hopes from the organization from the first day of joining. A motivated employee not only affects the work environment but also impacts the productivity of other employees. Employees may or may not be aware of how to achieve required goals and milestones, and here the role of motivation comes into the picture. Motivation regarding goal fulfillment is to be provided by top-level management. To be a good motivator, you need to find out what real motivation is for your employees and find ways to inculcate it in your employees.
As the popular saying goes, success leaves tracks and so does failure. If you discover what other successful companies are doing and you practice what you learn, you will be successful.